f

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A New Dress For Christmas

Well, a sorta new dress for Christmas ;)

I love popping into a resale shop just to see what I can find. We were away over the Thanksgiving holiday, in a small little town up in the mountains. As small as the town is, they have a fabulous resale shop, in fact, I call it a department store as you can find just about anything you may need there.

On this recent trip, I went in and found this little dress, and for some reason it spoke to me.
  

I rather like the black lace trim along the bottom of the skirt. When I saw the dress, I thought, hmmm, I can do something with this, but it was marked at $15.00. Not that $15.00 is a lot of money, but it was just more than I wanted to pay for something I am going to tear apart. In the past, Mondays are half price clothing days, so I decided to wait. Monday finally rolled around, I happily went skipping back into the store thinking I would get my dress for $7.50, but was surprised to see that the clothing wasn't on sale. I asked, and I was told that they are no longer doing the Monday sale. 
Bummer :( But I decided that persistence can pay off, so I went back the next day. On that trip, I found a super cute belt that I can wear with my ski pants, and it was only a dollar...SCORE!!! But, no half-price clothing. So, I went back the next day, fingers crossed as it was my last chance before we left. No luck. I was so bummed that I just stood at the front of the store while my husband took a look around.

As I stood there, the lady behind the register looked at me and asked if I bought the belt there at the store. I said yes. She commented on how cute it was with my ski pants. Totally unlike me, I told her that we had come back that day as I was hoping that it was half price day as there were 2 pieces that I wanted. The first was a little cashmere sweater that was completely trashed as it had holes in it, but it has beautiful rhinestone buttons. When I told her that it had holes in it, she said that it shouldn't be on the rack and that I could have it for free. Wow! But I told her no, the buttons are well worth $2.00 to me, so I would pay the $2.00. She asked about the second piece. I showed her the dress. She said that it had been there for quite sometime and that she would mark it down to $5.00. WOW, again!     


When I purchased the dress, I thought I would take the top off and add a velvet bodice, but then I remembered that I have this piece of black stretch lace.

As I said, I initially thought that I would take the bodice off, but when I laid the dress down and threw the lace over it, I changed my mind. I think I may keep the bodice and cut the halter straps off, making it a bustier. I would like long lace sleeves and a lace overlay. So, I'll see how it turns out. I also plan to add more beads and sparkle to the lace along the hem, make it a little more festive. It'll be fun to see how it all comes together. I'll be working on this later today, so I should be able to share the finished dress on Thursday.   


As I stood at the register paying for my little treasures, I couldn't help but think about asking for what you want... 

Seek and you will find, ask and it will be given...even a little resale shop dress :)

Have a wonderful day!
  Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. I love the neckline on your "new" little white dress, but I'm sure whatever you devise with the black lace will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great score with a little bit of persistence and patience. I'm eagerly waiting to how you re-fashion it and make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda,

    An uplifting testimony today! This has happened to me often, too, and I just about giggle when it does!

    Happy refashioning! Can’t wait to see the finished gem!

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! I love it too. It's just perfect. And SCORE on the rhinestone buttons!! Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was in the store shopping too...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see this refashioned dress! It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet dress, and cant wait to see how you transform it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What persistence! Good job on bargain hunting Rhonda. That dress is going to look good on you.

    ReplyDelete