f

Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday Morning Inspiration

The winter coat, what was once something that spent more time hanging in my closet than on my body has now become one my most necessary garments. When I first came back to Chicago, I had a coat that I thought would keep me warm, but it was like wearing a t-shirt in a blizzard!! So needless to say, coats have become a very important part of my wardrobe. I need to make a new coat this year, not that I don't have quite a few, but I do need to replace one. While looking around for ideas, I came across a few details that I thought were rather pretty, so I thought I would share them.
I love everything about this first coat, pretty, feminine and fun sleeves!
Pretty collar.
A vintage coat. Great shoulder detail and I love a swing coat. Allows for lots of layers underneath.
Sleek. Check out the double welt on the pockets.
Another great collar. I love the touch of a ruffle at the waistline.

A very interesting cocoon. Love the asymmetrical detail of the collar.
Sleeves are a little short for a Chicago winter, but I love the black detailing.
A zippered back vent. Fun!
I really like this coat. Check out the sleeves.
This little coat is from Burberry. I like the unexpected flap in the skirt.
This is all out fun. The only detail that I don't care for is the pleated detail down the center front.
Not for winter, but pretty detail nonetheless.
Another not for winter jacket, but I really like the detailing on the skirt. I was thinking that this might be something I could adapt for the felted wool jacket I recently made.
So pretty.
Love the mix of wool and knit. Another coat great for layering.
I rarely wear short little coats, keeps my top warm while my bottom freezes!!! But I think this is so nice. It just needs to be stretched into a long version :) Love the bag too!
And finally, a not for winter coat as it is, but I do like the basic shape. It just needs a collar. Maybe the collar from the white coat up above.
Have you come across a fun coat design? I would love to see it!! Just leave a comment and a link.
Have a wonderful week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

22 comments:

  1. I am not a handbag kinda gal but coats?!? Swoooooooon!!!!!!!!! The details on some of these are just incredible! Lovely selections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to a point that I am just like you. A coat is something I absolutely love.

      Delete
  2. I have had my eye on Marfy 3480 for a few months, and it should be available for purchase soon. What I like about it is the "poncho" overlayer would increase the warmth factor in the chest area where it is needed most. I'll probably make it one size larger than normal so I can wear sweaters underneath.
    I would love to try that coccoon coat; let me know if you make it. I put the Marfy 3480 photo in a link to this post: http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/f3480-products-48887.php?page_id=4959.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Ann. That is a beautiful coat!

      Delete
  3. Some beautiful coats here. As you know, I rarely need one, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived in Fort Worth when I was 5 until I was 7. I remember one winter when we had over a foot of snow!!! Maybe I need to come for a visit and bring a little snow with me ;)

      Delete
    2. Come on down! Even if we have some snow (which is not often), it's generally gone in a day,

      Delete
    3. Come on down! Even if we have some snow (which is not often), it's generally gone in a day,

      Delete
    4. You just might regret that invitation ;)

      Delete
  4. That knit wool combo would be perfect for our climate with just a bit more length. If I was going all elegant the graphic black and white is pretty spectacular. Thanks for the inspiration, Rhonda. I love making coats and am tempted to make more than I need. They are just that much fun and challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed the coats Bunny. As for me, I too love coats. I especially love to have my coat match my outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved all of them. It is just warming up here in Sydney, but may need to make a coat out of season for a January business trip to Washington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to let me know if you ever have a chance to come to Chicago. It would be so nice to spend some time with you. Fingers crossed!!!!

      Delete
  7. A warm coat is also a must have here in New Brunswick, Canada 😄 these are all so pretty with great details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love Canada!! But sadly, I have never been to New Brunswick. I'm sure it's every bit as beautiful as the rest of the country. But cold in the winter!!!!!

      Delete
  8. I love your selection of coats. Living in Canada means all kinds of winter weather which of course means the need for many types of coats as that is what keeps me warm and dry and more importantly, what people see first. I, too, love details on a coat especially in the collar, closure, pocket, sleeve areas as well as the general shape of the coat. I would love to know how to draft the collar in your second photo (the white coat). That collar looks like a perfect portrait type of collar that would also be great on an evening coat. May be a good tutorial subject?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, great minds do think alike!!! I Was thinking about doing a tutorial on that collar. I will do a short post about it today and see what the response is. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  9. My favorites are the first gold coat (love it!) and the swing coat! Would love to make either one of them or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the gold coat too! You see I had it at the top of my list :)

      Delete
  10. Rhonda, I started looking for good, easy patterns as I have decided to take up sewing, and your blog has become my absolute favorite! I haven't made anything yet as I haven't got my sewing machine yet, but of all the designs I have pinned to try, yours look cool, and seem no-nonsense in terms of how to make them. So many sites teach you how to make a basic skirt or whatever, but your designs are so much more interesting yet your free pattern Friday posts look just as easy to make. I can't wait to get a machine and get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have just made my day!! What a wonderful compliment! Thank you. I look forward to hearing about your progress :)

      Delete
  11. I agree with Dagmar and I would LOVE a tutorial on how to make the collar on the white coat. I have been perusing winter coat patterns and nothing really grabbed me, but if I could add that amazing collar. . . woah, look out!

    ReplyDelete