f

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Something a Little Sinful on Sunday



Jamielyn Nye of www.iheartnaptime.net, posted this recipe for no bake Reese's Peanut Butter Bars. It's a recipe that she found in her grandmother's recipe box. So I thought I would give them a try. They are good and yes, they are quite sinful. But, I always say that most everything is okay in moderation. Almost everything  anyway :)
Here's the recipe;
Ingredients
  • 1 cup salted butter (melted)
  • 2 cups keebler graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 (11 oz) bag milk chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl. Stir until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
  2. Pour peanut butter mixture into a 9x13 pan.
  1. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave (at 50% power) for 1-2 minutes. Stir chocolate and pour over the peanut butter mixture. Spread chocolate with a spatula. 
  1. To even out chocolate, tap pan on the counter.
  2. Refrigerate bars for one hour. Cut while bars are still cool. Enjoy!

**Just a note about the sweetness of the bars. For me, I found them to be just a little too sweet, my husband did not, of course! Remember, the graham crackers contain sugar as does peanut butter. Although, I did not use regular peanut butter, rather as my husband likes to call it, "hippy butter." You know, the natural, organic, non processed stuff! The next time that I make these, I plan to cut down the powdered sugar to 1 1/2 cups rather than the 1 3/4 cup that is called for in the recipe and see if that makes a difference.  
I had about 1/3 cup of butterscotch morsels left over, so I decided to melt them, and add just a little milk so I could drizzle the mixture over the top of my bars. It does make for a nice addition. 
The bars will freeze well, so you can make them up and freeze a couple in a bag for afternoon snacks. If you don't freeze them, be sure to keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. 
Enjoy!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of sugar. Bet these are delicious though. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I think so too. Just try reducing the sugar a bit or use a granulated sugar substitute. But, they are good. You only need a little bite to be satisfied.

      Delete
  2. My husband is a huge fan of peanut butter, so I just quickly whipped these up for him, and they are awesome! Thank you so much for the recipe! I cut out 1/2 a cup of the sugar, and used dark chocolate chips, and it was just the right amount of sweet! (I also stirred in some mini marshmallows with the chocolate for a smores effect.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was fast!!! So glad you like them. And I am happy to find out that a 1/2 cup of the sugar can be deleted. Like I said, my husband was okay with the sugar, but I found them to be just a little too sweet for my taste.

      Delete