f

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Get Braiding!!

Winter in Chicago...such a lovely time of year ;) It is so cold and the wind is howling, so I took this picture through a glass door. It's one of those days when it is oh so nice to be inside with a roaring fire and a cup of hot tea. Although, I just got back from the dentist's office and I can't eat or drink for another hour. On the good news front, the last surgery that I was told I would need to have, I no longer need it. What a wonderful way to start the new year!!
And what's better than a great scarf when it's so cold?!!!
I received a note from a lovely woman, Chris who lives and teaches sewing in Indianapolis. If you squint real hard you can see that the sleeves on her top are from this Sleeves On Saturdays post. Chris has taken those posts and gone crazy making special sleeves for her garments. Way to go Chris!!!
Just before Christmas, Chris sent me a note and said that she had something she wanted to send me. What oh what could it be? Well, I was so delighted when I opened the package and out popped this pretty little scarf.
It's great as an accent piece and does double duty at keeping you warm when twisted twice around the neck
Of course I was curious so I asked her to tell me about the pattern and here are two links to tutorials. Chris said that she likes the single twist better than the double and I do as well, but that is just a personal preference. The first tutorial with the single twist uses two t-shirts, a great way to recycle
 http://www.putapuredukes.com/2011/11/double-braided-scarf-tutorial.html
So if you have a little knit fabric or some t-shirts that you would like to make into something a little more useful...get braiding!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. This is lovely Rhonda - and how nice for you to have been given one as a gift in such wonderful colours!
    I am almost certain to be making (at least) one of these. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a generous gift and a wonderdul surprise. It's a fabulous pattern for an easy gift.

      Delete
  2. I love the scarf, but I need another scarf like I need another hole in my head, as the saying goes. Interesting - I just returned from the dentist and can't eat or drink for 30minutes so decided to check out your blog. I am so happy that you don't need any further surgery. Way to go!! Hope you and your family had a wondrous Christmas and have a healthy, happy, safe 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how happy I was to find out that I won't need that last surgery. It would not have been nice. Miracles do happen :)
      Happy New Year Jenny!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your wonderful gift. I will put that gorgeous sketch on my sewing room wall this very evening! It really brightened my day to receive it. I hope you are staying safe and warm during this weather. Take care and thank you again.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. That scarf is so unique and gorgeous, how generous!
    I love the snow pictures, I do miss the freshly fallen snow occasionally, and the nice warm fireplace with hot chocolate. I have occasionally thought about what you once said about the coldest you have ever felt and I really see what you mean. Thirty degrees here feels SOOOO cold, and not just because I always forget my jacket and lose my gloves. Stay warm up there though, you are having a dangerously cold temperatures. Put another log on the fire and bundle up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a beautiful piece of coating that I need to make up ;) That'll help to chase away the chill!!!

      Delete
  5. I used this tutorial in a class I taught about a year ago. It worked well and we even used old t-shirts for the fabric!

    ReplyDelete