f

Friday, November 2, 2012

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

Happy Friday Everyone!! Today's pattern is so simple, just 2 pattern pieces. I made it up late yesterday afternoon and wore it out to dinner last night. It takes no more than an hour to put together. This skirt is made from a woven fabric and has an elastic waist.
 The top of the skirt looks fairly normal, but the bottom section has a bit of a pouf to it.
I'm calling this skirt,
Rectangles On A Cloud
Because of the drape on the sides, the skirt moves beautifully.

Here's the pattern, as I said, 2 easy pieces.
The measurements that you will need are your hip measurement and your desired length.
The above pattern piece is the top portion of the skirt. Measure your hips and add at least 2" for ease. I added more, maybe 6". The next time I do the skirt, I will make it a bit more fitted and add less ease. As an example, if your hips measure 44", add at least 2" for ease, which will be 46". (Just remember, this will make a fairly fitted upper portion to your skirt. More ease will make it more floaty.) Divide this measurement in half, 23". For the above pattern piece, our example of 23" will be the width of this piece. You will need 2 of these pattern pieces. One for the front and another for the back.
My overall desired skirt length was 30". The length of the top portion of my skirt measures 16". This measurement does not include the legs on either side of the pattern. The length of the leg portions is up to you. The longer they are, the more drape you will have. Mine are approximately 7" long. As for the width of the legs, you'll want the inner portion of the leg to begin at mid thigh and then go over to the edge of your pattern. 
The lower portion of your pattern is just a rectangle. Easy!. Since my overall desired length was 30", and I made the top portion of my skirt 16" wide, the lower portion is 14" wide. For the width of the rectangle, you will need to measure around the entire bottom of the top portion of your skirt. So measure around the corners.
To sew the skirt together, you will simply take the rectangle and begin at one side of the upper portion of your skirt. When you come to a corner, clip and turn. Continue this until you reach the other side. Do exactly the same for the back. Sew the side seams together. Make a casing in the top of your skirt and add the elastic and roll hem the bottom of your skirt. FINISHED!!!
 I layed the skirt flat to try and show the rectangle legs that hang from the top portion of the skirt.
 In the above picture you can see the rectangle shape of the bottom portion of the skirt.
 This is a view of the side of the skirt. In this picture, the points of the rectangular leg has been pushed out.
 In the above picture, the points have been pushed in. When the points are pushed in, the sides form a very pretty drape.
 A view of the front of the skirt where you can see the side drape.
The above picture shows the points pushed out.
I was so lucky with my fabric. A friend of mine gave me this beautiful piece. It's hand dyed with indigo dye and is vintage so I didn't have to go through the effort of setting the dyes, lucky me. The dye was done so well that I didn't need to add a hem. The selvedge edge made a lovely finish.
I plan on doing a few more of these skirts to show you other options. I was awake a good portion of the night last night, and this is what I thought about. Crazy. Oh well, at least a few fun ideas came from my restlessness.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to help or explain in a different manner.
Thanks for coming by!!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

17 comments:

  1. I think I need more of whatever you are getting from your sleepless nights! This is great! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually sleep well, but when I don't my mind runs and runs and runs! At least it's productive:) glad you like the idea.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I Love the fabric but I'm just a bit confused. Would it be possible to mark up your illustrations with A to A and B to B etc...on the two pieces? Unfortunately I'm at work with no fabric to play with. And I really want to try this! Looks like a great stash buster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be happy to do a little more visual explanation. I'll have a little time on Sunday.

      Delete
  3. LOVE. LOVE. Is it a cotton fabric or a rayon? I will be making this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought so much of you the last few days in regard to the fabric I sent you. This is a cotton, really beautiful and the dying that was done is done beautifully. I think this is a real Shams skirt;) Glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to make this one but knowing there are more coming, what's a girl to do?? Looks great, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to comment that shams needs to see this - and I realize she already has! Hi shams! luckylibbet aka Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just going to comment that shams needs to see this - but I see she already has! Hi shams! luckylibbet aka Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, I have read it a couple times and I'm pretty sure I understand. I'll try and give it a shot tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you would still like me to do a little more detailed post, let me know and I'll be happy to do it.

      Delete
  8. what fun to play with these shapes and see what happens to a skirt hem! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DEFINITELY must try this! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to try this! I love the shape. Thanks Rhonda!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make up the coolest patterns. Love this!!

    ReplyDelete